The wonderful world of Justice and Mommy aka Mary!

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas



What kind of monster would I be if I stole Christmas from my son? Can you imagine planning to spend time with your child on Christmas to open presents then canceling those plans all because your boyfriend or girlfriend had to work? Who is Christmas about? Who is the focal point of the holiday? For me Justice is the focal point of my life and every special day of the year. In the past, I too have had boyfriends who were otherwise engaged on certain special days; yet, I never canceled or postponed my special plans with my son; because, he is what IT is all about.

It should go without saying for anyone who knows Justice’s father that he is the Grinch Who Stole Christmas from his son this year. Why would he do that you ask? It could be that his head wasn’t screwed on just right. It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight. But I think that the most likely reason of all, maybe that his heart was two sizes too small.

Just days before Christmas he got notice that his girlfriend would be working both day and night on that one special day. No longer would he have a friend to share in the delight of the day, but what was he to do? Christmas day only comes once every year. So he thought, “I must stop this Christmas from coming! But HOW?” Then he got an idea, a wonderful, awful idea. THE GRINCH GOT A WONDERFUL, AWFLUL IDEA! “I’ll call his MOTHER and tell her I don’t want him that day. I’ll cancel our Christmas day plans and make Justice wait another day. I’ll make him wait until Christmas is OVER.”

Of course I was outraged when I got the call and after much chastising the Grinch tried to smooth things over with a trivial offer. “Oh, well, I guess I could see him for a couple of hours and open a couple of presents.” “WHAT???!!” I said to myself and to him. A consolation prize for Christmas. How sweet. How grim.

Christmas day came and with NOBODY ELSE, Justice and I settled down by the tree and opened our presents with love and with glee. Without throngs of people flanking our sides we enjoyed our Christmas with love and with pride.

As the morning wore on my heart saddened even more for my son. Repeatedly I called his father, to see if perhaps his heart had grown three sizes that day. With now answer from him, I decided to be the better person and drive Justice over there to give him one last chance to redeem himself. After all, isn’t Christmas about forgiveness and redemption?

Sadly when we got there, Grinch Josh was in a terrible state. His face was ashen and bloated matched by two brightly redden glassy eyes. Were these the effects of last night’s drugs and drinking or perhaps were they brought on today? Justice of course was jumping up and down with excitement in the hopes that his father has grown a heart and changed his mind. What is a mother to do? If I questioned him right there about his condition no doubt it would lead to a nasty fight on Christmas day. I looked at the time then, decided to let Justice stay. “Judging by your condition,” I said “I’ll come pick him up in two hours.” This way, I thought, he won’t be driving with Justice, putting him in danger.

Just two hours later I arrived to pick up my son, hoping he would have stories to tell of presents galore and redemption as well. Alas, his father disappointed him, putting his son second to his girlfriend on Christmas day. Justice asked to open his presents that day and Grinch Josh would only allow him 5 small gifts, no doubt to keep the begging at bay. He gave his son the lame excuse, “the other gifts are not wrapped as of yet.” Huh????? Oh wait, that’s right Christmas day wasn’t announced till the last minute this year. Of course he had no time to prepare. On the other hand, in reality, I knew about Chrsitmas for a whole year. My presents were wrapped and ready to go, topped with nametags, ribbons and bows.

Afterward:

Sometimes it’s so hard to be the better person. I couldn’t care less that Grinch Josh is a nasty jerk to me, or that, that is who he is, by his very nature; however, it really hurts when it effects Justice. I’m still awestruck at his audacity to postpone Christmas. Most holidays he works doubles and barely spends any time with his son. This Christmas he had a very special opportunity to spend half the day with his son and really enjoy the holiday. He could have made it extra special for Justice. Instead he chose to postpone everything all because his girlfriend couldn’t be there. Now I don’t know whose idea this was, hers or his; but, I do know that it was an idea filled with selfish, self-seeking ambitions. I give everything I have for my son and work tirelessly to better myself and take him to as many interesting places as possible and I guess it’s just hard when certain key people in Justice’s life don’t live up to the same standards. It’s hard to be the better person and accept that I am continuing to grow and change while other people around me are not.


My dear friends and family, if you have a second I would like to ask you to pray the prayer I have included below for me and this situation. I am trying to take solace in the fact that the Lord will right the wrongs of this world one day; but, for now it's hard.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.


StumbleUpon My StumbleUpon Page
posted by Mary Gerber at 12/27/2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home