The wonderful world of Justice and Mommy aka Mary!

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Our first visit from the tooth fairy :)


Well I had to start somewhere so, I've wound the clock back a few weeks to early October of 2007.

One day after Justice came home from his dad's house he kind of nonchalantly announced "Hey, one of my teeth is wiggly". My head quickly turned in his direction in complete shock. Did I hear him correctly? Could he really be ready to loose his first tooth at 5 1/2? Hmmm let me think....no, I'm sure me and Katie didn't loose our first tooth until we were 6 or 7. Is normal I asked myself? My first impulse was to go and grab one of the dusty baby books of the shelf to see what happens at what age. I can tell you for the first 2 years those books were my constant companions and 2nd bible! Like most mothers I constantly obsessed with his development and wanted to be sure my sweet angel was developing or par with his peers.

It's funny, but; you slowly come to a point where, as a mom you begin to accept your child's development as it is and stop pouring over books that tell you what and when your child should be doing something. It doesn't happen overnight. It's more of a slow change that occurs over such a long period of time, that you don't even realize it. And then SNAP! Something happens that seems out of the ordinary and there you are once again running to those "What and When" books.

Well, I held off my urge to check his normalcy long enough to go over and inspect this wiggly tooth of his. My eyes welled up with tears as I saw the glee in his face and I took my thumb and forefinger to shake his little tooth back and forth. It was exciting and sad all at the same time. It was a right of passage for him and the end of another chapter for me.

After inspecting the tooth, I checked the books and low and behold he was right on track! A sigh of relief escaped my lips and I rested my back on the chair a little easier.

My next thought jumped to the when. When would this tooth come out? Panic ensued. What if he lost it at school? Or worse what if he lost it at his dad's house? I had to make sure the tooth made it home safely and sound for the Tooth Fairy's visit. I grabbed a Tupperware box and made a label on plain white paper that said "tooth box". I used scotch tape to affix it to the box and called Justice over to explain what it was for. We had a good talk about what happens when a tooth falls out (so he would know what to expect and not freak out if he saw a bit of blood) and what to do with a lost tooth to keep it safe for the Tooth Fairy.

As luck would have it he lost his tooth at school. His substitute, Mrs. Katz was very helpful in wrapping the tooth up for safekeeping. By the way- he lost his first tooth while in time out!

That night he went to bed faster than I'd ever seen. He even refused to use the pillow for fear that he would somehow knock the tooth about and not get a surprise from the beloved Tooth Fairy. As always she visited our house that night. She left $5 under the pillow and a line of red sparkly fairy dust lead to a spiderman web blaster and mask set! Also there was a line of what Justice called "Pixie Dust" leading to the front door. When we opened the door we noticed it went out into the grass and then stopped abruptly. We looked at each other and know that must have been where she up and flew away back to her magical land of teeth!
StumbleUpon My StumbleUpon Page
posted by Mary Gerber at 11/11/2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home