The wonderful world of Justice and Mommy aka Mary!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Blizzard on the Beach!

Who says we don't have everything in south Florida? Our kids play in the snow just like any other children except, we do it with style. Who wants to have to put on layers and layers of clothing just to go outside to get cold and wet in a matter of minutes? Down here we just throw on our flip flops, t-shirts and shorts then dive into the snow mound! The best part is when you get a little too cold all you have to do is jump off the mound and let the sun warm you up.
I think Justice really enjoyed this part because he asked to go back a second time before we left!

Next, Santa arrived on a firetruck and took a tram ride down to the beach for pictures. Now I have to say, when I first moved to south Florida, I had my reservations about warm Christmas's and such, but; now that I've been here for over 10 years I can't imagine Christmas any other way. When we reached the beach we found Santa in a folding camp chair next to the dunes with children lined up to take pictures and whisper their Christmas wish list in his ear. Of course we got in line and Justice has his photo taken. They had professional photographers there as well snapping photo's and in a few days we can all look up our pictures online and print them out! I can't wait to see what his looks like.

Last but not least they had FREE kayaking for the event! I think this was the biggest hit for Justice. He was sooooo excited and kept saying "It's my first time ever!" I was very impressed by how well he helped paddle. At first I thought it was going to be more of a chore than anything. I was sure that my arms would be aching in a matter of minutes and that Justice would only be interested in being a passenger. Boy was I wrong! The lightweight kayak seemed to float across the brackish water with very little effort and Justice paddled profusely the entire time. While we were out on the water we had the chance to see flying fish and partially submerged mangroves on an island. The weather was perfect and after about 30 minutes we made our way back to the launch site to turn our kayak over to another park guest.

All in all it was a great day. The best part was that pretty much everything was free. In addition to everything else,they also had bounce houses, face painting, live bluegrass music, Busch Wildlife animal presentations, a scavenger hunt and vendors. This will definitely make it onto our ever growing list of things to do every year.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
StumbleUpon My StumbleUpon Page
posted by Mary Gerber at 11/18/2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home